Monday, March 14, 2011

Post Graduate Plans

As I get closer to graduation day, the dreaded question presents itself from every direction: "What are you going to do when you graduate?" Very few people enjoy being asked this question, even when they have a set plan for their future. The unknown of "the real world" and the future sets most students on edge, which is only made worse by the lack of a plan. Based on popular example, we're programmed to believe that in order to succeed we must go to high school, followed by college, then graduate school, then a steady job. But between the tests and work shifts, when are we supposed to really live? Are we really expected to wait until our children are in college or when we retire? Something that should be kept in mind during this stressful time is that we aren't being put on a timer. Sure, it would be great to get a steady job and have a good income by the time those student loans kick in, but it's ok to breathe between graduation day and then. This is why when someone asks me the dreaded question, I respond with, "I'm going to travel after I graduate. After that, I guess I'll find out." Don't get me wrong, I'm very conscious of my future and have been brought up to think about my career. I've always had at least one job since I was fourteen and have been going to my college career center since freshman year. I know what my interests are and I know what I want to pursue, but that doesn't mean I need to have my lifetime career set just yet. I want to have options and the ability to pursue those options if I'd like to. After I graduate, I'm taking a year off to travel, volunteer, and pursue my options. I want to go to the UK and meet new people, learn how others live, and go on adventures. I want to have the time for internships and volunteering so that I can really, truly know what I want to do before I fully commit to it. I'm excited about finding my calling and committing to it, but I also acknowledge that I could be happy with multiple options right now. If you know what you want to do, then great. But for someone like me who has a few things in mind, I suggest taking time to really think them over. Granted, I'm still an undergraduate with a few part-time jobs, but I would like to think that a confident 23-year-old with a fixed goal in mind is more employable than an unsure 22-year-old who feels pressure to move on to the next step in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment