Friday, April 8, 2011

Robot Unicorn Attack



I was staying over at a friend's house the other day and I started to hear a familiar tune. Without really being aware of it, I started singing along. After a minute or two, my friend turned to me and said, "Oh, have you played Robot Unicorn Attack before?" After I told her I'd never heard of it, she exclaimed, "How do you know that song!?! I thought it was made up for this game!!!" To this day, I have no idea how I knew that song ("Always" by Erasure), but it contributed to the beginning of my new time-consuming obsession: Robot Unicorn Attack. It's an online video game that can be found on adultswim.com and is also on facebook. You get three lives ("wishes") and you run and increasing speed from platform to platform as you jump over hurdles and shoot stars. It sounds simple, but gets more challenging and addicting the longer you're able to stay alive. All while this absurdly addictive song is playing in the background, you (the robot unicorn) runs with flying dolphins, leaves a trail of rainbows as it jumps and runs at breakneck speeds by the time you're through. It's an excellent, addicting game on it's own, but facebook adds the element of competition by showing your friends' high scores, giving you more incentive to keep playing. While this game is great if you're interested in stamina games in funny fantasy settings, I wouldn't suggest you play it unless you're prepared to take on a new addiction and song stuck in your head.

(For those of you who are less inclined towards fantasy, there is also a heavy metal version)

No comments:

Post a Comment