Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Time Heals All Wounds

Before I went to college, I'd only been to my paternal uncle and grandmother's funeral. And while they were both obviously depressing events, I wasn't as close to them as I was to other relatives. Four years later, I've now lost my maternal grandmother (and last grandparent) who inspired and comforted me and my uncle who helped keep my family together after my grandmother's passing. I almost lost at least three friends to suicide and now just lost Dustin. Needless to say, my time in college has had its fill of trials to accompany the good times. On days like these when all I want to do is stay in bed and stare at the wall, my friends and family help me get through. It's when I'm alone that it's the worst. Watching a cute cartoon with a friend, crying in my mom's arms, and getting myself outside to run in the rain all help me. There's no one way to deal with grief, but for me, giving myself a few days to cry and be depressed followed by constant distraction seems to help. The pain may never completely go away, but it can get easier to the point where you don't notice it. Never underestimate the power of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment